Hi! I’m Ramona, and I created this website because when I’m writing, I’m happy, and want to share my excitement about it with everyone!
I’ve enjoyed writing since I was about eleven years old, when I started making up stories about cats, typing poems on my mom’s typewriter, and got my first diary.
When I was about forty I noticed that for a long time I’d been looking forward to being retired and in my eighties when I would finally have the time to start being A Writer. Then it occurred to me that, even though I wasn’t retired yet, there was nothing wrong with starting to learn how to write! At that joyful revelation, I started reading every how-to-write book I could get my hands on and taking writing courses.
I love children and fun and science, so I enjoy writing for children. I have written some educational books, and a few of my stories and articles have been published in children’s magazines. When I write for adults, I naturally veer toward romance, and two of my short stories have been published (still trying to find a home for those novels!).
It has been fun to share my thoughts on my blog, and connect with readers and other writers (THANK YOU!). At times, when it comes to my creative and mental energy, I feel like saying, “I gave at the office” (or in my case, the school). Yet even if I don’t get much writing done, I always have energy to read, and love to share my excitement and inspiration from top-quality, beautiful books.
These are photos of some of my book shelves. I am especially attracted to OLD books where I find some of the best quality writing, plots and characters, even in those close to a hundred years old. When I go treasure-hunting, I look for classic, vintage or antiquarian books of fiction (especially romance), children’s stories or poems, and Christianity.
My faith is a continual well of joy in my life, and I am fascinated by the faith journeys I read about in fiction or non-fiction. I want to know about the spiritual life of those who lived in completely different centuries, customs, cultures, locations, and circumstances.
The inspiration and wisdom gained from walking with God in quiet conversation, reading the Bible, and hearing others’ experiences is timeless and boundless. To me, the quality of writing and depth of thought in the older books surpasses that in contemporary books, and is a thing of beauty.
Because I love learning, my original life plan was to be a teacher, but I impulsively changed my mind and got my degree in Engineering Math. I grew up in Denver, Colorado, USA, and now live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I am nice and close to a beautiful park and river with interesting wildlife at hand, and happy to have my sons, daughter-in-law and grandson!!! nearby. I have come full-circle and enjoy working at a wonderful school as an ESL Assistant.
- my dear family, spread across Canada, U.S. and Germany
- friends I’ve known for 50+ years, friends I’ve just met, and all those in between
- discovering, exploring, researching, learning
- the ocean, the mountains, the beauty of nature
- walking and hiking especially in our nearby Canadian Rockies
- nature photography, and making cards and other crafts from my photos
- archiving my family and life in scrapbooks, videos and journals
- old movies (who can resist spending time with Doris Day, Cary Grant, Donna Reed or Jimmy Stewart?)
- outdoor concerts, Shakespeare in the Park
- studying the Bible, being active in my church, volunteering
- cooking real food and inventing super-healthy snacks
- learning about herbs, natural health, mindfulness and living intentionally
- corresponding with my sponsored children and snail-mailing to pen pals around the world,
- surfing the internet to satisfy my endless curiosity
- finding small simple ways to make the world a better place
And you…? I’d love to meet you and hear your story! Feel free to send me an email using the contact form below! Thanks for reading!