I’m so excited I can hardly stand it.
What a surprise I had yesterday, when I noticed stores are posting my children’s educational book for pre-order!
It all started last summer…
- I received my usual copy of the Children’s Writer newsletter, produced by the Institute of Children’s Literature (see my post about ICL here)
- The newsletter mentioned a book producer looking for authors to work on projects.
- Since I’d been planning to check out non-traditional publishing opportunities, I looked into it.
- I sent my writing resume to Red Line Editorial.
- In early December I received an email from Red Line, inviting me to work on a project, their series of books called To Be Canadian.
- I accepted, and said I’d like to work on the one about Sustainability.
- I spent most of my school’s Christmas holiday researching and contacting experts.
- It was a VERY tight schedule, rather exhausting, but I couldn’t believe how much fun I was having!
- I wrote evenings and weekends during January, and edited and rewrote during February.
- They accepted my manuscript, noting that they planned to publish the series in the fall.
- I proceeded to wonder for the next few months if they were really going to publish it the way I wrote it, if it will say my name anywhere, what it will look like.
- I couldn’t really believe I’d be the author of a children’s book.
But it’s true!
Here are a couple websites that show the series, Beech Street Books (the publisher), and McNalley-Robinson.
And yes, my name is on the cover. Whew.
If you have an inkling to pursue this kind of work-for-hire educational writing opportunity, I recommend checking out Red Line’s website , and Evelyn Christenson’s website, which lists many other educational publishers.
Thank you publicdomainpictures.net for the HAPPY image!
4 thoughts on “August 1st publishing date for my book Respect Our World: Sustainabililty!”
Congratulations, sounds exciting!
I is very exciting, and was very educational trying something different in the publishing world. Thanks Marcia!
This is great, sorry I missed this announcement. Congratulations, Ramona!
Thanks for BOTH of your kind comments, Marcia, and the same congrats back at you. 🙂