CBC/Calgary READS used book sale May 13-15, 2016
Calgary READS is an organization close to my heart, because their mission is to make reading a priority for young children. They have grown from offering one tutoring program to now having many programs and initiatives that work in schools and communities to support children and their families.
With so many new and used book stores scaling down, or going out of business, especially the precious little mom-and-pop stores, it is a joy to see that charitable organizations still put in a lot of hard work into book sales, and can raise money because people still buy print books!
Whenever I go to these sales, it makes me smile to see children of all ages looking intensely for their favorite authors, carrying around piles of books to buy and begging mom or dad for “just one more”. There’s just no substitute for a print book that you can hold in your hands with paper pages to flip.
Below is more information (including a map) from the Calgary READS website about this event with Author Readings, Jazz and Books Night, and Children’s Story Tent:
May 13 to May 15, 2016 Calgary Curling Club
One of Calgary’s most anticipated and attended events!Hundreds of thousands of previously-loved books will be ready to be purchased and find new homes. This is a signature fundraising event for Calgary Reads.
Our 14th annual event! Held at the Calgary Curling Club. 720 3rd St. NW, Calgary:
- Friday May 13th – 9am-9pm – TGIBs (Thank Goodness It’s Books) Author Reading 7pm
- Saturday May 14th – 9am-9pm – Back by popular demand! Jazz & Book Night! Shop to the musical sounds of Midnight Blue Jazz Society with cash wine bar 6-9pm.
- Sunday May 15th – 9am -1pm. Children’s Story Tent with crafts and storytelling by Girl Guides (9am – noon).
We welcome donations of good quality, gently used adult and children books for the book sale! (We cannot accept encyclopaedias, dictionaries, text books, Harlequin Romances, Reader’s Digest, cassettes, magazines or agendas)
Book collection locations, dates and times:
At Calgary Food Bank, 5000, 11th Street SE, Calgary:
- Monday to Thursday April 25 to 28 – drop off at Door #3 from 8:30am – 7pm
- Friday, April 29 – drop off at Door #3 from 8:30am -3:30pm
At Calgary Curling Club, 720 3rd St NW, Calgary:
- Tuesday to Friday May 3 to May 6 from 9am – 7pm sharp
- Saturday and Sunday May 7 and 8 from 9am -4pm sharp
Interested in Volunteering? We are looking for volunteers to fill numerous shifts on the collection dates. If you are interested, please complete the Calgary Reads ‘Other Volunteer Opportunities’ on line form here.
Limited free parking is available in the Curling Club lot and on the street. Paid parking is available in the large city lot on the east side of the Curling Club–only $3–see the map below.
The Curling Club is at the spot marked “A” in the map below:
- Posted in: Getting the Word Out
- Tagged: 2016 cbc calgary reads used book sale, antique books, author reading, book sale, Calgary Reads, Calgary used book sales, children's story tent, Everyday Joys, Midnight Blue Jazz Society, near-new books, old books, support a good cause, Used Book Sales, used books